As a little girl my motto was to always root for the underdog. With every show, movie or book I read I would always find myself loving the "losers" and "freaks". I wanted to be like them, different, a unique flower in a field of tall green grass. As I grew up I did things to make myself stand out; in the 5th grade I began wearing a slew of rubber bracelets, jeweled cuffs, cheap chains with cursive L's dangling from them and many many homemade beaded bracelets. I also wore bright red tennis shoes and toe rings !(so forbidden ha ha :)) This is what constituted being "different" in Catholic school.
So when I finally made the leap to a public middle school I found myself completely lost in the crowd. I had very little casual clothes, in my Catholic elementary school we wore required uniforms, so my wardrobe was a tad sparse. I remember the items I bought in preparation for my new Middle School life: a short sleeved olive top ,a red and pink striped t-shirt, a plain pink t-shirt, a graphic t-shirt with a map of Italy on it (WTF?! ha ha), a pair of two toned converse high tops and last but certainly not least a netted twine colored poncho with fringe.You really can't blame me, it's impossible to develop style when your only allowed to wear what you want three day's a week. And then there's the fact that Middle School is terrible.
I wont lie, I turned sulky pretty quick. I made new friends who were sulky, who wore black and plaid and who wore long colorful socks with their converse. By the 8th grade my wardrobe was full of band tee's, witty graphic t-shirts, short ragged skirts, long crape skirts, lots of fishnets, heart shaped sunglasses, and large ominously black hoodies.
Looking back I really appreciate the time I spent on the dark side. No really! It was a way to express myself when I was painfully shy and it helped me develop a backbone. Though my wardrobe is largely colorful/whimsical/fun now I still keep some of my former dark/moody elements that I think really enhance my style. So the following is a compilation of some of my former and current inspirations!
1/ Enid was my first real look into alternative style. She was witty and bad ass and everything I wanted to be as a teen. I credit the growing of my backbone in part to her and her never ending sarcasm. Watch !
2/ As High School progressed I toned it down a bit I found a new passion for vertical/nautical stripes and longed for a fur coat and the courage to smoke. Aww <3
3/ Clementine will always stand out to me. She was fun, I loved her constant hair color fluctuations, her potato dolls, her blunt way of speaking and her spazzy style. I always see a little bit of myself in her. <3
4/ I probably could have related to the character Debra a little more at the age of 14 than now, but I sort of recently ( If you call a year recently) watched this movie and really liked her character a lot. So moody/broody
5/ Michelle Williams, any movie I've seen with her I've loved. She is awesome and cool and stylish. As I flipped through Nylon today I saw an article about the style in the movie Me without you, and it really made me anxious to rent it!
So ultimately I really love all of these awesome ladies for being my style icons and teaching me that different is good, it makes you interesting, bold, and creative. There are bumps along life's path, but that's everybody, be yourself because it's beautiful :)
This may be a tad long winded but I hope you enjoyed regardless!





No comments:
Post a Comment